MY STORY: Urvil James "BJ" Villaruel
"Exploring The Scene & The Unseen. .."
I've travelled the world; started my own companies and charity; earned both my university and graduate certificate degrees; instructed private and group martial arts and yoga classes; explored both the esoteric and the extravagant; written for prestigious blogs — developed my own; played in bands and recorded my own songs; learned to shoot photo, video, and design websites without ever having gone to school for it; discovered a lot about the "civilized" world and even more about "the one that only those who choose to enter ever get to see"; and do you know what I have realized and continue to realize despite all of that? It’s not what you know, but what you do, that matters most!
Presence in presence is one of the most difficult, but important undertakings that one could ever hope to achieve. How many times have you not only been here, but truly here? It is only the artist, the true seeker, who sees what can only be retold through the artistic mediums of written word, photography and videography.
Telling stories is what I do. What is it that you see and what do you want others to see? For, the most important vehicle of communication is our chosen narrative. What is being said and what is being understood, all at the same time. The reality of what we depict not by what we desire, but by what is real, authentic, honest and true.
We all have a story: what's yours?
- Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) Marketing.
- Corporate Communications & Public Relations Graduate Certificate.
- 2x feature on UOIT FBIT 'Alumni Spotlight'.
- Featured on Centennial College 'Success Stories'.
- Featured on Optrix Instagram.
- Featured on Klappes.com.
- Ontario Global Edge Program alumni.
- Successfully built and managed audiences of over 22k unique subscribers across Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube.
- Black Belt (Nerkin Ouj).
- Black Belt (Arnis De Mano/ Balintawak).
- RYT 500 Yoga Alliance certified.
- Completed 10-week Wim Hof Method online training program.
- Backpacked across 4 continents and 12 different countries over 5-months; photographing, filming, and writing stories.